Ashwood Court Apartments

  • Location: Bellevue, WA
  • Year: 2015
  • Client: Downtown Action to Save Housing
  • Architect: None
  • Photos: Rafn Company

The Ashwood Court project was an occupied renovation of a 51 unit senior housing facility in Bellevue. Our scope of work included a new roof and new rooftop HAVC units, exterior cladding and flashing repair, select window replacement, building plumbing upgrades, common area cosmetic refresh, property manager’s office and client’s office reconfiguration and refresh, unit upgrades, and select unit repairs.

During the project we were able to save money on various scopes of work which allowed the owner to add “wish list” items onto the project totaling around $250,000. This was done within our original schedule which meant no additional general conditions were needed. These items were prioritized based on building integrity needs first, infrastructure repairs and updates next, and then added resident comfort.

Successfully working in and around occupied residential units is a hallmark trait of Rafn’s craftspeople. We self-performed 65% of the scope of work on the project which allowed us to coordinate our work around individual resident doctor appointments, health issues, social commitments, and other constraints with minimal work delays. We were able to remain flexible to adjust our schedule and move on to other tasks if units were not available for entry. Also, resident safety was a priority with background checks required for all workers onsite, and buddy system used for unit entry both with Rafn staff and subcontractors.

One of the project’s greatest success story comes from the exterior work. Our scope included making repairs to the existing building siding but we went a step further by removing additional siding to access and repair underlying envelope deficiencies. We also discovered that a proper and thorough cleaning of the vinyl siding revealed a clean and fresh facade which saved a significant amount of money by not requiring painting of the siding.

Back to the project index