Good People. Great Work.
Jack Rafn founded the Rafn Company in 1978 to consciously avoid the often times adversarial nature inherent to hard bid contracting. By personality and attitude, Jack was driven to a collaborative process in which shared goals and mutual commitment to the development process could achieve a successful, high quality, cost-effective outcome - and could continue to cultivate lasting friends. It was a novel and visionary idea that we have championed ever since.
Initially, the renovation of historic buildings was the testing ground for this team approach with owners and architects, years before the industry bantered about the terms "partnering" and "team building". These principles were then applied to both public and private commercial projects with such great success that it has become the de facto standard in our market segment. That’s why when asked about the Rafn Company, clients, subcontractors, suppliers, regulatory agencies, and even competitors say, “they are good people... and they do great work.”
- Integrity to guarantee the quality & delivery of our work
- The best people & the skill to lead the construction process
- To achieve the highest standard and to make the right decisions
- To our people, clients, environment, and community
For four decades, the Rafn Company has grown successfully on these values with a focus on negotiated work. Rafn's leadership team is committed to guiding the company to greater success by building on these values.
- NAIOP Night of the Stars Residential Urban Development of the Year Finalist - Morrow Apartments
- AGC Build Washington Private Building $20m-$50m Finalist - Confluence Apartments
- AIA Seattle Honor Awards Honorable Mention - Byrd Barr Place
- Washington Multi-Family Housing Association Renovated Community of the Year - AMLI Bellevue Park Amenity
- NAIOP Night of the Stars Residential Urban Development of the Year Finalist - AMLI Spring District Apartments
- ABC Excellence in Construction - Mercy Magnuson Place
- ABC Excellence in Construction - AMLI Spring District Apartments
- ABC Excellence in Construction - Town Hall Seattle
- ABC Excellence in Construction - Prism Apartments
- ABC National Eagle of Excellence - Mercy Magnuson Place
- NAIOP Night of the Stars Judge’s Choice Project of the Year - Mercy Magnuson Place
- NAIOP Night of the Stars Affordable Housing Development of the Year Finalist - Mercy Magnuson Place
- Washington State Historic Preservation Officer Valerie Sivinski Award - Mercy Magnuson Place
- Historic Seattle Best Preservation Project Award - Mercy Magnuson Place
- Charles L. Edson Tax Credit Excellence Award Historic Preservation - Mercy Magnuson Place
- ABC Eagle of Excellence - Cambridge Apartments Renovation
- ABC Excellence in Construction - Cambridge Apartments Renovation
- ABC Excellence in Construction - Anchor Flats Apartments
- ABC Eagle of Excellence - HomeStreet Bank Corporate Offices
- ABC Excellence in Construction - HomeStreet Bank Corporate Offices
- ABC Excellence in Construction - The Eddy at Green Lake Village Apartments
- ABC Excellence in Construction - HomeStreet Bank Tacoma
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
- AIA Seattle
- Bellevue Chamber of Commerce
- Bellevue Rotary
- Construction Industry Training Council (CITC)
- Construction Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Downtown Seattle Association (DSA)
- Historic Seattle
- Housing Development Consortium (HDC)
- Pacific Science Center
- Seattle Architectural Foundation (SAF)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Washington Trust for Historic Preservation
- Bellevue Rotary
- CMAA Evergreen Chapter
- Housing Development Consortium
- Housing Washington
- International Living Future Institute
- NW Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS)
- Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Vets Restore
Shaping the Skylines of Tomorrow
Glass and steel. Concrete and wood. Sustainability and functionality. When it’s time to bring your vision to life, the professionals at Rafn Commercial Building Group are ready to put our expertise to work for you. From new construction to renovation, with the highly skilled team at Rafn you’re limited only by what you can imagine.
Right from the start you’ll notice a difference. We listen. The Rafn team takes the time to understand your project’s goals and objectives. We’ll identify risk, anticipate the unknowns and develop an accurate budget. Then we’ll create a plan and apply all the resources necessary for the success of your project. No surprises, just rock solid risk management.
Delivering on our promises is fundamental. We only take on a project when we know we can give it our unconditional commitment. So if you are building up, spreading out or renovating - you want resourceful and committed people on your side. You want Rafn.
Your Strategic Partner in Development
Since our inception over forty years ago, Rafn has been there as a strategic development partner for our customers. We are experts and leaders in both preconstruction and construction. With nearly 10,000 units standing as testimony, the Rafn Company Multi-Housing Group captures our enduring passion for urban housing.
By utilizing current and efficient budgeting tools as well as sustainable methods and materials, we keep our prices competitive while still applying commercial standards to everything we build. Detailed inspections and documentation performed throughout our Quality Assurance Program ensure an airtight building envelope and a superior building product.
Equipped with the very latest techniques and technological advancements, our specialists are the clear leaders for urban infill projects. Whether it’s complex redevelopment, special needs housing, or market rate apartments - they are ready to resolve any issue that might arise. When you’re thinking of building a multi-housing project, give us a call.
Historic Renovation Projects
Restoring the Character of our Past
There is serious passion around our legacy of renovation projects. These are the projects that build craftsmen as much as they are the projects built by craftsmen. With over one hundred major rehabilitation projects completed since our inception, Rafn’s people have more knowledge, expertise and skill than any other contractor in our region.
Being skilled in renovation work requires a strong understanding of how these relics were constructed. Knowing how to accurately estimate and plan for their reconstruction is an art that comes best from decades of experience. These tangible differences in the Rafn team will be visible from the start. We can reliably predict the surprises you can expect during construction and in turn, the true end cost of your restoration project with confidence.
Our people enjoy this type of work more than any other. They are resourceful, smart and dedicated and that will be evident in the consistent results they produce.
High Performance and Exceptional Agility
For tenant improvements or smaller renovations, medical offices or retail spaces, you need a building partner who can get in, get the job done right and - with very little effort from you - be gone before you know it. Rafn delivers exacting performance and exceptional agility with a focus on quality control and cost management.
When working with Rafn, you’ll feel as if you have your own personal contractor. From estimating through closeout, your Rafn superintendent will remain your single point of contact. Every member of your Rafn team knows how to quickly make crucial decisions that address unexpected changes in the field while never losing sight of your needs. Yet even with this agility, you’ll still benefit from the important resources of a larger company. From cabinet-makers to corporate support staff - Rafn has everything it takes to make your next project a success.
Are you interested in discussing your small project with us?
Click here for our Small Projects Information Form to start the conversation.