Valhalla Court Apartments
The story of Valhalla Court is the story of community revitalization in the historic Hilltop neighborhood of Tacoma. The site was a former three-story social hall built in 1906 for Tacoma’s Swedish-American community but unfortunately had sat vacant since 2009. Initially, the project was slated to be the rehabilitation of the historic structure but was changed to all new construction considering the cost of renovation versus new construction. TCRA’s vision in developing the project is to spur development in the neighborhood.
The new building houses 26 studio, one-bedroom, and one-bedroom loft units geared towards market-rate tenants but with nine units set aside for 50% and below AMI residents, and 2 live/work units at the street. The live/work units were designed to be flexible with the opportunity to become a combined commercial space in the future.
The 16,000 square foot building consists of 4 levels of apartment units facing a beautifully landscaped courtyard and accessed via two innovative stair towers. The main entrance to the building and courtyard features a custom metal gate, historical-look light fixtures, and artwork depicting civil liberty as the frontage on Martin Luther King Jr. Way.